In search of a crease free sheet?
“A lot of B&B and lodge operators do their own laundry and want to present lovely crisp wrinkle-free bedding to their guests but time is precious and they don’t like having to spend hours at the ironing board. There are a few things that can be done in the laundering stage that can help minimize creasing of cotton sheets,” says Nadine Barnes of Commercial Supplies, “and once you know what they are, it will reduce ironing time.”
- Don’t be tempted to jamb too much in the washing machine at once.
- Set your washing machine to a Slow Spin - some modern machines now even give a choice of a Medium Spin which removes a little more water than a Slow Spin without too much more creasing and could work for you. If you have a choice of both, experiment with them to find the best result for you.
- If you line dry your sheets, give them a good shake before you hang them up and straighten attached headers out with your hands once they are hanging.
- Take your sheets off the line about 10 minutes before they are completely dry and put them into the tumble dryer to finish them off.
- If you tumble dry your sheets from wet, again don’t be tempted to jamb too much in the machine at once.
- Make sure you remove the sheets at the end of the drying cycle and neatly fold them.
Following the above tips you will minimize creases but you will probably still want to give them a quick iron for the perfect end result. “I have customers who tell me that they iron their fitted sheets on the bed,” says Nadine. “I guess it comes down to how perfect you want your bed to be and how fit you are!.”